[R] how to install R 3.0.1

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Sat Jun 1 15:58:08 CEST 2013

On Sat, 1 Jun 2013 14:58:22 +0200 Uwe Ligges
<ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de> wrote:

> On 01.06.2013 02:02, Ranjan Maitra wrote:

> >> Do you mean something like:
> >> paks = library()$results[,1]
> >> save(paks, file = 'paks.RData')
> >> Rob
> >
> > Exactly! Then
> >
> > install.packages(library()$results[,1])
> >
> > does all the updated installs in one shot.
>

> Why do you want to reinstall all packages?
>
> I'd go for
> udpate.packages(checkBuilt=TRUE)
> if a reinstallation after an update of R is what you are aiming at.

Actually, this did not work (on multiple architectures from 2.15.2 to
3.0.0 as well as from 3.0.0 to 3.0.1) for me in the sense that it only
offered to update a very small subset packages, and that too, without
their dependencies. Which resulted in a failure also for a large subset
of the small subset of packages.

As an example, consider the following:

> update.packages(checkBuilt = TRUE)

(nothing to update, since I updated some things yesterday, and did a
manual installation when the dependencies, eg lme4 comes to mind,
failed)

> installed.packages()[,"Built"]

shows that AnalyzeFMRI was Built for 3.0.0.

Perhaps not a big deal from 3.0.0 to 3.0.1 but was a big deal from
2.15.2 to 3.0.0.

But after doing a

? install.packages("AnalyzeFMRI")

I get that

AnalyzeFMRI is Built for 3.0.1.

Trying:

> install.packages(installed.packages()[,1])

I get that all are updated to 3.0.1, except for some, like XLConnectJars
which are not available.

(I was surprised: it may be a bug, but is definitely a desirable
feature that should be considered for inclusion.)

Perhaps the better thing to do would have been to:

> update.packages(installed.packages()[,1])

but I did not think about that earlier.

Many thanks and best wishes,
Ranjan

> Best,
> Uwe Ligges
>

> > Thanks!
> > Ranjan

Important Notice: This mailbox is ignored: e-mails are set to be
deleted on receipt. For those needing to send personal or professional
e-mail, please use appropriate addresses.