[R] how to install R 3.0.1

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Sat Jun 1 16:51:19 CEST 2013

On 01.06.2013 15:58, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Jun 2013 14:58:22 +0200 Uwe Ligges
> <ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de> wrote:

>>> Exactly! Then
>>>
>>> install.packages(library()$results[,1])
>>>
>>> does all the updated installs in one shot.
>>

>> Why do you want to reinstall all packages?
>>
>> I'd go for
>> udpate.packages(checkBuilt=TRUE)
>> if a reinstallation after an update of R is what you are aiming at.
>
> Actually, this did not work (on multiple architectures from 2.15.2 to
> 3.0.0 as well as from 3.0.0 to 3.0.1) for me in the sense that it only
> offered to update a very small subset packages, and that too, without
> their dependencies. Which resulted in a failure also for a large subset
> of the small subset of packages.
>
> As an example, consider the following:
>
>> update.packages(checkBuilt = TRUE)
>>

> (nothing to update, since I updated some things yesterday, and did a
> manual installation when the dependencies, eg lme4 comes to mind,
> failed)
>
>> installed.packages()[,"Built"]
>
> shows that AnalyzeFMRI was Built for 3.0.0.
>
> Perhaps not a big deal from 3.0.0 to 3.0.1

Right, it won't reinstall here since that is not necessary and the
package sources were not changed, hence it safes you time and bandwidth.

> but was a big deal from
> 2.15.2 to 3.0.0.

Right, and it would have updated there....

> But after doing a
>
> ? install.packages("AnalyzeFMRI")
>
> I get that
>
> AnalyzeFMRI is Built for 3.0.1.

Yes, sure.

> Trying:
>
>> install.packages(installed.packages()[,1])
>
> I get that all are updated to 3.0.1, except for some, like XLConnectJars
> which are not available.

This is not a CRAN package and binaries may not be available in the
repository you tried to get it from (Omegahat) or you have not selected
Omegahat as a repository via setRepositories().
You can try to install from sources, though.

As I said before, replacing all your packages unconditionally wastes
bandwidth. There are rarely situations where the other updates are
really needed.

Best,
Uwe Ligges