[R] Determining the maximum memory usage of a function

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jun 20 17:34:58 CEST 2013

On 20/06/2013 15:45, Jonathan Greenberg wrote:
> Folks:
>
> I apologize for the cross-posting between r-help and r-sig-hpc, but I
> figured this question was relevant to both lists.  I'm writing a
> function to be applied to an input dataset that will be broken up into
> chunks for memory management reasons and for parallel execution.  I am
> trying to determine, for a given function, what the *maximum* memory
> usage during its execution is (which may not be the beginning or the
> end of the function, but somewhere in the middle), so I can "plan" for
> the chunk size (e.g. have a table of chunk size vs. max memory usage).
>
> Is there a trick for determining this?

Note that your subject line and the body of your message are different
questions.

You cannot determine the memory usage of any part of R, in particular
not of a function's execution.  Objects are shared, garbage collection
happens asynchronously ....

However, gc() is a good start.  Call gc(reset = TRUE) before and gc()
after your task, and you will see the maximum extra memory used by R in
the interim. (This does not include memory malloced by compiled code,
which is much harder to measure as it gets re-used.)

Note that calls to gc() do affect the usage, and the usage also depends
on what had already been done in the session (as the trigger values
adapt to usage).