[R] Determining the maximum memory usage of a function

Jonathan Greenberg jgrn at illinois.edu
Thu Jun 20 17:36:21 CEST 2013

Jim:

Thanks, but I'm looking for something that can be used somewhat
automatically -- the function in question would be user-provided and
passed to my "chunking" algorithm, so in this case it would be the
end-user (not me) who would have to embed these -- would
Rprof(memory.profiling=TRUE)
# my function
Rprof(NULL)
... and then taking the max of the tseries output be a reasonable
approach?  If so, which of the three outputs (vsize.small vsize.large
  nodes) would be best compared against the available memory?

Cheers!

--j