[R] mosaic plot (vcd)

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at uibk.ac.at
Thu May 16 09:56:45 CEST 2013

On Wed, 15 May 2013, Vanessa Vetter wrote:

>   Hello everyone,
>   is there a way to increase the distance between the legend label of the
>   Pearson residuals and the bar, which shows the color of the residuals, in
>   the mosaic plot argument (see picture attached)? The minus signs of the
>   negative scale unfortunately run into the bar. They are therefore difficult
>   to read.

I don't think that there is a way to do this directly. A workaround that
can be used to avoid the problem is to specify a "range" and the number of
"ticks" that just leads to fewer digits. For example, for your data you
could set legend_args = list(range = c(-1.9, 1.9), ticks = 5).

For a reproducible example, consider

ipol <- function (x) pmin (x / 4, 1)
mosaic(~ Hair + Eye, data = HairEyeColor,
   shade = TRUE, gp_args = list(interpolate = ipol),
   legend_args = list(range = c(-7.1, 7.1), ticks = 7))

I have cc'ed David Meyer, the maintainer of vcd. David, for fixing the
problem, I think we should compute 'tw' in legend_resbased() only based on
digits but better on the actual rounded 'at' values. For example, we could
do the following (maybe with digits = 2 rather than 3):

if(is.null(at)) {
   at <- seq(from = head(col.bins, 1), to = tail(col.bins, 1), length = ticks)
   lab <- format(round(at, digits = digits), nsmall = digits)
}
tw <- lab[which.max(nchar(lab))]

>   I would also like to change both, the color of the residuals as well as the
>   "data driven cut-off points for residuals". But so far I could not combine
>   the two commands. Is this possible?
>   # Colorized with HCL default colors and data driven cut-off points for
>   residuals:
>   ipol <- function (x) pmin (x / 4, 1)
>   mosaic (~ herbivory treatment + + + altitude competition, data = erillm1,
>   shade  =  TRUE,  legend  =  TRUE, gp_args = list (interpolate = ipol),
>   labeling_args = list (abbreviate_labs = c (herbivory = TRUE)))
>   #  Colorized with HCL but color matched and default cut-off points for
>   residuals:

I'm not sure what exactly you want to change here, the ipol function above
appears to work as intended.

Hope that helps,