[R] formatting column names of data frame

John Kane jrkrideau at inbox.com
Sat May 18 18:49:39 CEST 2013

As Rainer Schuermann says, use the xtable package. Have a look at the documentation entitled xtable gallary --available at your friendly neigbourhood CRAN site and have a look at section 3.1. and it's probably a good idea to look at ?print.xtable as well

You might also what to have a look at the latex function in Hmisc.

Here is an example with "Average" in bold. It ran for me using LyX and knitr rather than Sweave.
library( xtable )
x <- structure(list(Record = 1:3, Average = c(34L, 14L, 433L), Maximum = c(899L, 15L, 1003L)), .Names = c("Record", "Average", "Maximum"), class = "data.frame", row.names = c(NA, -3L))
names(x)  <-  c("Record", "\\textbf{Average}", "Maximum")
x <- xtable( x )
print( x,  sanitize.text.function = function(x){x} )

John Kane
Kingston ON Canada