[R] Hierarchical Cluster Analysis with large dataset

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Sun Nov 3 15:01:51 CET 2013

On Sun, 3 Nov 2013 10:42:06 +0100 Petar Milin
<petar.milin at uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:

> Hello!
> Can anyone give me advice on running Hierarchical Cluster Analysis on large
> datasets? For example, 80000x10000. Calculating distances on such a
> dataframe seems impossible even on very powerful computer.
>
> Also, any other advice that would lead to reduction of dimensionality,
> i.e., cluster/group variables would be more than welcomed.

You have two different issues here: size of dataset (number of
observations which prevents storage in memory of the distance matrix)
and number of variables (which does not, but probably hinders reading
in the dataset.

You need to provide more information here: why do you need/want to do
hierarchical clustering, if so, do you only need to use R. What
hardware you have at your disposal, etc.

Depending on your answers to the above, this may well be a research
problem in its own right.

HTH!

Best wishes,
Ranjan

Important Notice: This mailbox is ignored: e-mails are set to be
For those needing to send personal or professional e-mail, please use
appropriate addresses.