[R] R and Interactive Visualizations

Greg Snow 538280 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 18:25:50 CET 2013

For task #1, if you have the coordinates where the nodes were plotted
then you can just pass this information along with the meta data to
the identify function (assuming base graphics).  If you want the
metadata to only appear for the current point (disappear when leave
that point) then look at the HWidentify and HTKidentify functions in
the TeachingDemos package.

For task #2, if you have a point within each country that the person
can click on (point at capitol city, intial letter of country name,
etc.) then you can just use identify again.  If you want to capture a
click anywhere within the polygon(s) then you can use the locator
function to capture the coordinates of the point clicked on, then use
tools within packages like sp (I think the over function is the
current best one) to identify which polygon/country the point is in,
then add the appropriate metadata at the point clicked.

For number 3, there is some functionality like this in the iplots
package, the ggobi tool, and the TkBrush function in the TeachingDemos
package.  If those do not do what you want, then give us some more
detail on what you would like to do.