[R] YSI data in R

Jim Lemon jim at bitwrit.com.au
Thu Oct 3 08:06:22 CEST 2013

On 10/03/2013 12:13 PM, Orlen wrote:
> My apologies.
>
> I want to test for normality to determine whether I need to use parametric
> or nonparametric tests to analyze the data.  A prof suggested this was a
> good place to start with my data.
>
> I have attached a copy of part of my data.
>
> There are five transects, and five weeks, and each transect has up to four
> water depths (3, 10, 20, 40)
> <http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/file/n4677465/Screen_Shot_2013-10-02_at_9.56.50_PM.png>
>
> Does this make it a bit more clear? Please let me know if there is anything
> else I can add to clarify the issues I am having.
>
> I have tried doing histograms but i cant figure out how to make multiple
> ones at one time for each variable by week for each transect.

Hi Orlen,
The picture of the data you posted gives just about enough information
to answer some of your questions.

You can get summary statistics like means broken down by factors (e.g.
week and transect) using the "by" function.

You can plot multiple figures by small numbers of factors using various
"panel" functions to illustrate changes over time and location.

You can test for normality using the functions in the "nortest" package.

Note that a picture of the data is unlikely to induce someone to
laboriously type in those data. If you want to post data, take a subset
and use the "dput" function:

dput(mydata[week==1,])

Jim