[R] Icelandic Characters in Mac

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Thu Apr 3 00:59:49 CEST 2014

On Apr 2, 2014, at 2:18 PM, Stefán Hrafn Jónsson wrote:

> Dear R community
>
> I have few students that use Mac. When creating graphs they inform me that
> when they use Icelandic characters in title or xlab they get some wrong
> results. In stead of
>
> "fia› er sætt" they get ".a. er s.tt" period in stead of the Icelandic
> character.
>
> Any Icelandic Mac user that has a solution to this?  .
>

> The Icelandic characters follows.
>
> Æ æ ó Ó ‹ ›,í  Í á Á é É ‡ †
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icelandic_alphabet

The default screen device is named quartz(). I'm not an Icelander, but in a US locale with the standard fonts I get faithful reproduction of those characters on a Mac running 10.7.5 with R 3.0.2

They need to be looking at:

?quartz

?quartzFonts

"sans" for a sans-serif font,
"serif" for a serif font
 "mono" for a monospaced font.

And they need to know what fonts would be appropriate to assign to the various families,s or they need to specify font families in their plotting calls. There may be a need to review how their locale settings are being specified.

--
David Winsemius
Alameda, CA, USA