[R] Icelandic Characters in Mac

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 21:24:09 CEST 2014

On 03 Apr 2014, at 00:59 , David Winsemius <dwinsemius at comcast.net> wrote:

> On Apr 2, 2014, at 2:18 PM, Stefán Hrafn Jónsson wrote:
>
>> Dear R community
>>
>> I have few students that use Mac. When creating graphs they inform me that
>> when they use Icelandic characters in title or xlab they get some wrong
>> results. In stead of
>>
>> "fia› er sætt" they get ".a. er s.tt" period in stead of the Icelandic
>> character.
>>
>> Any Icelandic Mac user that has a solution to this?  .
>>

>> The Icelandic characters follows.
>>
>> Æ æ ó Ó ‹ ›,í  Í á Á é É ‡ †
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icelandic_alphabet
>
> The default screen device is named quartz(). I'm not an Icelander, but in a US locale with the standard fonts I get faithful reproduction of those characters on a Mac running 10.7.5 with R 3.0.2

Rather amusingly, some of the Icelandic got mangled in your mail, though.
I think I received them correctly in Stefán's mail:

Æ æ ó Ó Ð ð,í  Í á Á é É ý Ý

(although thorn þÞ seems missing from the list?)

I too can use "Það er sætt" in plot labels, on 10.9.2 in en_US.UTF-8 locale.

I think we need more info about what setup the students have been using. Having the locale set to "C" might cause something like the described effect.

--
Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
Phone: (+45)38153501
Email: pd.mes at cbs.dk  Priv: PDalgd at gmail.com