[R] Growth of CRAN?

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at structuremonitoring.com
Mon Apr 14 17:19:46 CEST 2014

p.s.  Have backup copies of CRAN been made, e.g., annually or with each
new release?  Or are there summaries of the tests done with each new
release?  I'm looking for something that could be checked to compile a
more accurate and consistent database than what we have now.  For me,
this is idle curiosity.  However, this could be used to help plan the
expansion of CRAN, providing forecasts with confidence bounds.

########################

Hi, Hadley:

On 4/14/2014 5:53 AM, Hadley Wickham wrote:
> For finer level detail, have a look at
> https://github.com/hadley/cran-packages. It contains the description
> file of every package ever uploaded to CRAN (the cache is a few months
> out of date, but you can easily re-run)

       Can that be mined to get the date of first commit to CRAN? Dates
in description files are sometimes updated.  Example:  The "Date" in the
Description file for the version of "fda" now on CRAN is 2013-05, but
fda was on CRAN at least in 2006 and probably earlier.  You are listed
as second author on that package based on work you did in by 2006.

       Spencer