[R] Trend test for hazard ratios

Therneau, Terry M., Ph.D. therneau at mayo.edu
Tue Apr 15 15:32:31 CEST 2014

You can do statistical tests within a single model, for whether portions of it fit or do
not fit.  But one cannot take three separate fits and compare them.  The program needs
context to know how the three relate to one another.  Say that "group" is your strata
variable, trt the variable of interest, and x1, x2 are adjusters.

    fit <- coxph(Surv(time,status) ~ trt * strata(group) + x1 + x2, data=mydata)

Will fit a model with a separate treatment coefficient for each of the groups, and a
separate baseline hazard for each.  One can now create a contrast that corresponds to your
trend test, using vcov(fit) for the variance matrix and coef(fit) to retrieve the
coefficients.

Terry T.