[R] Trend test for hazard ratios

Göran Broström goran.brostrom at umu.se
Tue Apr 15 15:54:08 CEST 2014

> On 04/15/2014 05:00 AM, r-help-request at r-project.org wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have the following problem. I stratified my patient cohort into three
>> ordered groups and performed multivariate adjusted Cox regression analysis
>> on each group separately. Now I would like to calculate a p for trend across
>> the hazard ratios that I got for the three groups. How can I do that if I
>> only have the HR and the confidence interval? For example I got the
>> following HRs for one endpoint:
>>
>> 1.09(0.68-1.74),	1.29(0.94-1.76) and 1.64(1.01-2.68).
>>
>> There is a trend but how do I calculate if it is significant?

You may treat the log of the estimates as independent observations from
normal distributions with known (or estimated) variances, and find a
suitable test statistic in the book

D.J. Bartholomew, R.E. Barlow, H.D. Brunk and J.M. Bremner (1972).
Statistical Inference under Order Restrictions , Chichester:
John Wiley and Sons.

Göran B.