[R] Normal probability plot examples for Wikipedia (was "qqnorm with histogram?")

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at structuremonitoring.com
Mon Aug 4 18:55:54 CEST 2014

Hi, Jim et al.:

       Thanks for the reply, Jim.

       What are your favorite examples using normal probability plots to
identify outliers, skewness, kurtosis, mixtures, and the need for
transformations in plots of raw data and residuals from model fits -- or
using half-normal plots with estimated parameters?

       I ask, because I believe the current Wikipedia article on "Normal
probability plot" could be improved dramatically with a set of great
examples.  I also plan to write a function to display a normal
probability plot with a histogram, a density estimate, and a boxplot and
use it with the examples.  My current plan is to create this with a
function qqnormPlus(..., datax=TRUE, histargs, densityargs, boxplotargs)
that passes histargs, densityargs and boxplotargs to truehist{MASS},
density, and boxplot, respectively.  I plan to add this to the Ecfun
package (for which I'm the author and maintainer).

       This wikipedia article received 14774 views in the past 90 days,
averaging not quite 700 per day, so I think it's worth doing.  I could
use suggestions (and help from other Wikipedians on this list).

       Thanks,
       Spencer