[R] Normal probability plot examples for Wikipedia (was "qqnorm with histogram?")

Charles Berry ccberry at ucsd.edu
Mon Aug 4 22:34:15 CEST 2014

Spencer Graves <spencer.graves <at> structuremonitoring.com> writes:

> Hi, Jim et al.:
>
>        Thanks for the reply, Jim.
>
>        What are your favorite examples using normal probability plots to
> identify outliers, skewness, kurtosis, mixtures, and the need for
> transformations in plots of raw data and residuals from model fits -- or
> using half-normal plots with estimated parameters?

Not sure I have a *favorite*, but the so-called "Fisher's iris data"
provide an illustration of an obvious mixture and the value of conditioning.

Try:

 qqnorm(iris$Petal.Length,col=as.numeric(iris$Species))
 qqnorm(residuals(lm(Petal.Length~Species,iris)))

As a bonus, you can reference this pretty page:

 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iris_%28plant%29

where the contributions of the iris to water purification, art, and
symbolism are noted.

Maybe a section on the iris in statistics... ;-)

HTH,

Chuck