[R] please please unsubscribe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Mon Dec 1 15:47:02 CET 2014

Well, we can start with the footer and then see how many "unsubscribe" messages continue to come R-help's way. Then, if it is not making an appreciable difference, we can look into putting it in the top.

Btw, I have seen mailing list e-mails elsewhere with an unsubscribe line at the top. I don't see it as a big deal.

Best wishes,
Ranjan

On Mon, 1 Dec 2014 06:31:14 -0800 Jeff Newmiller <jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us> wrote:

> I disagree that this message belongs at the top... That is rare in bulk mail I receive, and seems unnecessarily intrusive. Addition of the word "Unsubscribe" to clarify the function of the link seems in line with current use.
> DCN:<jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us>        Basics: ##.#.       ##.#.  Live Go...
> /Software/Embedded Controllers)               .OO#.       .OO#.  rocks...1k
>
> On December 1, 2014 6:15:47 AM PST, Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch> wrote:
> >Thank you for all the thoughts about alleviating these problems,
> >both to us and the "newbies" (or otherwise e-mail clueless
> >subscribers).

> >> Following on Rich and Peter, is it practical for the list to put it
> >at the top then, before the R-message?
> >    > Something like:
> >
> >> TO UNSUBSCRIBE from the list: see
> >
> >Indeed, that is possible for mailman lists as I see.
> >It looks ugly to me but I have been brought up in the age where
> >civilized letters started (in English) with 'Dear ..' and
> >e-mails were electronic letters..  and that age has gone...
> >
> >Shall we do that in spite of esthetic reasons?
> >and keep the current footer?
> >
> >Martin
> >
> >> And then continue on for each R message. Because top-posting has
> >pretty much taken over, the best efforts of puritans notwithstanding,
> >putting stuff at the bottom is unlikely to evoke much attention, and
> >especially so in our 140-character-3-second attention-span world.
> >
> >> As an aside, if I were the OP, and wanted to unsubscribe, the volume
> >of the e-mail messages on this topic alone would have been punishment
> >enough for the original post:-)
> >
> >    > Best wishes,
> >    > Ranjan

Important Notice: This mailbox is ignored: e-mails are set to be deleted on receipt. Please respond to the mailing list if appropriate. For those needing to send personal or professional e-mail, please use appropriate addresses.