[R] Trouble with pmvnorm?

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Sat Feb 8 19:04:06 CET 2014

You almost said it yourself: Your integrand doesn't vectorize. The direct culprit is the following:

If x is a vector, what is lower=c(x,x,x,x)? A vector of length 4*length(x). And pmvnorm doesn't vectorize so it wouldn't help to have lower= as a matrix (e.g., cbind(x,x,x,x)) instead.

A straightforward workaround is to Vectorize() your function. Possibly more efficient to put an mapply() of sorts around the pmvnorm call.

However, wouldn't it be more obvious to work out the mean and variance matrix of (x1-x5, x2-x5, x3-x5, x4-x5) and then just pmvnorm(... lower=c(0,0,0,0), upper=c(Inf, Inf, Inf, Inf))??