[R] [SOLVED -- my fault] png-generation from script (non-X11 env) now broken?

David Wolfskill r at catwhisker.org
Tue Feb 25 23:33:55 CET 2014

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 10:36:29AM -0800, David Wolfskill wrote:
> ...
> This morning, I found a message in my mailbox from such a preview run:
> | Error in .External2(C_X11, paste("png::", filename, sep = ""), g$width,  :
> |   unable to start device PNG
> | Calls: gen_build_histogram -> png
> | In addition: Warning message:
> | In png(filename = fn, height = height, width = width, units = "in",  :
> |   unable to open connection to X11 display ''
> | Execution halted
> [This was running R-3.0.2_1 in FreeBSD/amd64 9.2-STABLE 
> r262323M/262357:902506, built Sun Feb 23 05:14:37 PST 2014.]
> ...

The above is no longer a problem.

After a variety of approaches, I decided to rebuild the graphics/png,
graphics/cairo, and all of the R-* ports on the machine.  A summary:

===>>> The following actions were performed:
        Re-installation of png-1.5.18
        Re-installation of cairo-1.10.2_7,2
        Re-installation of R-3.0.2_1
        Re-installation of R-cran-DBI-0.2.7_3
        Re-installation of R-cran-RColorBrewer-1.0.5_11
        Re-installation of R-cran-RMySQL-0.9.3_8
        Re-installation of R-cran-colorspace-1.2.4_2
        Re-installation of R-cran-dichromat-2.0.0_4
        Re-installation of R-cran-digest-0.6.4
        Re-installation of R-cran-iterators-1.0.6_7
        Re-installation of R-cran-itertools-0.1.1_11
        Re-installation of R-cran-plyr-1.8_5
        Re-installation of R-cran-proto-0.3.10_5
        Re-installation of R-cran-stringr-0.6.2_5
        Re-installation of R-cran-reshape2-1.2.2_5
        Re-installation of R-cran-munsell-0.4.2_2
        Re-installation of R-cran-labeling-0.2_2
        Re-installation of R-cran-scales-0.2.3_5
        Re-installation of R-cran-gtable-0.1.2_5
        Re-installation of R-cran-ggplot2-
        Re-installation of R-cran-zoo-1.7.10_2

===>>> Exiting

Folowing that, I trried running the script in an xterm without DISPLAY
defined; it worked as it had before.

As I type, I'm running it out of cron, and it's creating PNG files....

Evidently, I screwed up an update within the last few weeks, so my
allegation that this was something that had changed in R was not true.
I apologize if I mislead or offended anyone: I was wrong.

And "thank you" again to those who tried to help.

david   (back to cloaked mode)
David H. Wolfskill				r at catwhisker.org
Taliban: Evil cowards with guns afraid of truth from a 14-year old girl.

See http://www.catwhisker.org/~david/publickey.gpg for my public key.
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 964 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/attachments/20140225/932540a8/attachment-0002.bin>

More information about the R-help mailing list