[R] Where did lost variables go

jwd jwd at surewest.net
Thu Jan 2 09:21:28 CET 2014

On Mon, 30 Dec 2013 20:42:53 -0500
David Parkhurst <parkhurs at indiana.edu> wrote:

> I have several variables in a data frame that aren't listed by ls()
> after I attach that data frame.  Where did they go, and how can I
> stop the hidden ones from masking the local ones?
> Thanks for any help.
> David

You really need to offer more information, e.g. a reproducible example
that includes just how how moved data into your data frame. As
it is, the only reasonable suggestion is to try and find your lost
singleton socks, the missing variablee may be hiding with them.
Alternatively the lost variables may have taken off to Never Never Land
to hang with the Lost Boys.

One simple possibility is that the missing variables were actually
never read in to the data frame.  Have you ever seen those variables
in your data frame?  Did you try str(<dataframe>)?

As regards "hidden" and "local," you'll - again - have to be a good
deal more explicit.

JDougherty