[R] empty density plot for point pattern in spatstat

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Jun 17 23:23:17 CEST 2014

On 18/06/14 03:49, Christopher W Ryan wrote:
> I upgraded to version 3.1.0 of R, still on Win XP, but that did not
> solve the problem:
>
> library(spatstat)
> data(redwood)
> str(redwood)
> plot(redwood)  # works OK
> plot(Kest(redwood))  # works OK
> plot(density(redwood))  # produces an "empty" plot
>                                         # with just the figure border
>                                         # and a thin vertical box for
> the color ramp
>                                         # but no color ramp in it
>
> Any other ideas? I'd be much obliged.

I have had an inquiry of this nature previously and sad to say was
completely unable to find a solution.  I made numerous suggestions to
the inquirer, e.g.:

*looking for a plot.im() function masking the "real"
plot.im() function from spatstat

* cleaning out the global environment
(.RData) in case there were some "artefacts" hanging around that had an
impact on plot.im()

* completely *removing* .RData and starting again,...

Nothing worked.

It is very difficult to diagnose a problem like this remotely.  If you
could find an R guru who was able to come and sit with you at your
computer it is ***just possible*** that they could track down what is
going wrong.

However it seems to me that the problem is due to some sort of
recalcitrance of the Windoze system and is thus probably insoluble.

I am cc-ing this to the person who made the previous inquiry.  Pablo,
have there been any further developments since we last communicated
about this problem?

cheers,

Rolf Turner

P. S. BTW Chris:  Does plot.im() screw up with other images?  E.g. what
happens if you do

with(bei.extra,plot(elev))

???

R. T.