[R] Error installing extrafonts from local zip file

Robin.Thomson at csiro.au Robin.Thomson at csiro.au
Thu Mar 13 05:31:16 CET 2014

I am making my first submission to Plos One and am trying to install the extrafonts package to obtain Arial for the figures. "extrafonts" was archived at the end of last month so I downloaded first the extrafont_0.16.tar.gz file and then the older extrafont_0.15.tar.gz file.

I selected "Install packages(s) from local zip file" from the Packages menu of my installation of R x64 3.0.0

I got:

> utils:::menuInstallLocal()
Error in read.dcf(file.path(pkgname, "DESCRIPTION"), c("Package", "Type")) :
  cannot open the connection
In addition: Warning messages:
1: In unzip(zipname, exdir = dest) : error 1 in extracting from zip file
2: In read.dcf(file.path(pkgname, "DESCRIPTION"), c("Package", "Type")) :
  cannot open compressed file 'extrafont_0.15.tar.gz/DESCRIPTION', probable reason 'No such file or directory'

When I unzip these gz files using Winzip I do find a DESCRIPTION file.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Robin