[R] Beginner: how to split up character string into different columns

jmcable jmcable at alaska.edu
Mon Mar 17 22:13:04 CET 2014

Hello,
I'm an R beginner and am not sure how to address this question. I've read
through tutorials and am still stuck.

I have a column in my data called "Sample". The samples are listed as four
sites (SFHS, SFLS, NFLS, NFHS) with tree numbers (01 through 23) and
replicates per tree (A and B). So, a typical sample name would look like:
SFLS01A or SFHS05B.

I need to split this column into three columns (site, tree, and rep), but I
can't figure this out. Does someone have advice / suggestions?

Thanks so much! Jessie