[R] Determine breaks based on a break type...

Kehl Dániel kehld at ktk.pte.hu
Sat Mar 22 18:07:35 CET 2014

Hi,

you possibly know that there are a lot of methods to determine the number of bins. As a default R has the Sturges method. I think it does something like

x <- runif(100)
mybreaks <- hist(runif(x))$breaks

r <- max(x)-min(x)
br <- nclass.Sturges(x) #note this is a really simple approach and see edit(nclass.Sturges)
brn <- 0:br
pretty(min(x)+brn*r/br, n=br)

I tried to make the steps clear, the pretty function does the job in the end.

Hope that helps (although I do not know if it is faster, but you can try it on your own), best
daniel