[R] rgdal: Convert ESRI ArcGis geo database (gdb directory) to geojson, or shapefile map

Guido Biele guido.biele at neuro-cognition.org
Fri Oct 24 12:06:11 CEST 2014

Hello,

I have an ESRI  ArGis geo database directory which I would like to convert
to geojson or a shape file (or anything else that I can read into R).

Unfortunately that does not work out of the box with rgdal, because it does
not come with the fileGDB or openfileGDB driver.
I could successfully install gdal and the fileGDB driver/extension, but it
seems that i can use gdal only to convert the gdb file to a SQL database.

So before I start to learn about SQL, I thought I ask if anybody can point
me to a tutorial or similar that explains how to convert the contents of a
GDB folder to a R-readable format.

I also wondered if it would be possible to let rgdal know that it could
access the required drivers because I installed them manually.
I would appreciate any hint about this too!

Thanks in advance!
Best Guido

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]