[R] Import data from Excel to R

John McKown john.archie.mckown at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 14:45:49 CEST 2014

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 3:51 AM, Omar André Gonzáles Díaz
<oma.gonzales at gmail.com> wrote:
> The best way is to save the file as CSV... after you can simply import it
> with this comand in R:
>
> read.csv(...) ... to know more about the read.csv comand use in R this:
> ?read.csv.
>
> There are other packages to import EXCEL FILES, but the simplest way, its
> importing this as CSV.

I agree, if the person is using R on a Windows system. And they have
Excel installed on it. If, like me, they are on a non-Windows system,
then it _might_ be faster and easier to use a package from CRAN such
as openxlsx (my favorite because it is native C code), or XLConnect
(Java based, using the Apache foundarion's POI code). These could be
used on Windows also. If the OP just wanted to run an R script without
first needing to start up Excel, open the spreadsheet, save the data
in CSV format, then run the R script. What can I say? I'm lazy! (And
_proud_ of it).

--
There is nothing more pleasant than traveling and meeting new people!
Genghis Khan

Maranatha! <><
John McKown