[R] Import data from Excel to R

Wed Sep 10 16:00:50 CEST 2014

Although it may seem troublesome to export to csv, I have found that every direct access library for reading Excel files seems to come with some fiddly bits that confuse new users (and can show down an experienced user). For example, XLConnect can be a headache if your files are large because it seems to use memory inefficiently and requires preallocation for loading the library for large files. It also requires a working Java installation with the right OS architecture which can be an off-topic diversion on this list. And of course there are the xlsx vs xls compatibility problems and the people who sprinkle data around the spreadsheet randomly that add steps to the data extraction that we can't predict.
Telling new users to start out by exporting to CSV is a compact way to get them to solve the their data transfer problem interactively. Most people working with xls/xlsx files have a spreadsheet program with which they can accomplish this initial task, and leave the fiddly bits until they decide to streamline their data processing.
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing