[R] Error in quantile.default(resids) : missing values and NaN's not allowed if 'na.rm' is FALSE

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 22:56:44 CEST 2014

Chad Danyluck <c.danyluck <at> gmail.com> writes:

> About a year ago I ran some analyses using lmer. The general syntax was:
>
> mlm <- lmer(var1 ~ (1|dyad) +
> var2 + var3*var4*var5, na.action=na.exclude);
> summary(mlm)
>
> The model ran fine and I saved the output. I've recently turned back to
> those analyses, however, the model no longer runs. I get the following
> error:
>
> Error in quantile.default(resids) :
>   missing values and NaN's not allowed if 'na.rm' is FALSE
>
> I've searched the online forums and found that this topic has not been
> touched upon since 2006, and at that time someone
>  had indicated that it was
> a bug that had been resolved. I am using the most current version of lme4,
> so if the bug is fixed I am unsure why I am experiencing this problem.

   You missed

https://mailman.stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mixed-models/2014q3/022616.html

and the subsequent thread, which describes a recent issue.

This was fixed two weeks ago, at

https://github.com/lme4/lme4/commit/e68b7475d1d254bfbdae6cd3efb2d9c8dbe0b899

but hasn't made it into a released version of lme4, although at least
a Windows binary should be available @ http://lme4.r-forge.r-project.org/repos
(and you can install from Github via devtools::install_github() if you
have compilation tools available on your machine).

> I have since run the model using lmer's default for handling missing data
> (na.omit), but found the results do not match what I had saved previously
> when using na.exclude.
>
> If anyone has an insight here I'd be very appreciative.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Chad

  Perhaps worth noting that this bug only affects the summary print
method, not anything in the actual model fitting process.