[R] Coxme penalized log-likelihood mismatch

Therneau, Terry M., Ph.D. therneau at mayo.edu
Thu Apr 9 14:26:44 CEST 2015

The perils of backwards compatability....

During computation the important quantity is  loglik + penalty.  That is what is contained
in the third element of the loglik vector.

Originally that is also what was printed, but I later realized that for statistical
inference one wants the loglik and penalty to be separate, e.g. the AIC is based on the
loglik and the degrees of freedom.  So I changed the printout to give
    loglik at beta=0,  integrated loglik at solution,  ordinary loglik at solution
(Integrated and ordinary are the same at beta=0).

But, because I was worried that some people would have been reading the results in a
program (like you are), I didn't want to break their code so left the internal variable
alone.  It appears that I traded "maybe safer" for "certain confusion".

Terry Therneau