[R] Running R Remotely on LINUX

Michael Haenlein haenlein at escpeurope.eu
Tue Apr 14 18:57:28 CEST 2015

Dear all,

I am used to running R locally on my Windows-based PC. Since some of my
computations are taking a lot of time I am now trying to move to a remote R
session on a LINUX server but I am having trouble to getting things work.

I am able to access the LINUX server using PuTTY and SSH. Once I have
access I can log in with my username and password (which is asked through
keyboard-interactive authentication). I can then open an R session.

Since I am not used to working with LINUX, I have several questions:

(1) Ideally I am looking for a Windows-based software that would allow me
to work on R as I am used to with the difference that the computations are
run remotely on the LINUX server. Does a software like this exist? Please
note that I do not think that I can install any software on the LINUX
server. But I can install stuff on my Windows-based PC.

(2) I am running an extensive simulation that takes about one week to run.
Right now it seems that when I log out of R on LINUX and close PuTTY, the R
session closes as well. Is there a way to let R run in the background for
the week and just check into the progress 1-2 times a day?

(3) Can I open several instances of R in parallel? On my PC I sometimes
have 2-3 windows open in parallel that work on different calculations to
save time. Not sure to which extent this is possible on LINUX.

I assume that this questions are very naïve. But since I’m only used to
working with Windows I’m quite stuck at the moment. Any help would be very
appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Michael

Michael Haenlein