[R] Running R Remotely on LINUX

Sarah Goslee sarah.goslee at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 19:09:16 CEST 2015

Hi Michael,

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 12:57 PM, Michael Haenlein
<haenlein at escpeurope.eu> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am used to running R locally on my Windows-based PC. Since some of my
> computations are taking a lot of time I am now trying to move to a remote R
> session on a LINUX server but I am having trouble to getting things work.
>
> I am able to access the LINUX server using PuTTY and SSH. Once I have
> access I can log in with my username and password (which is asked through
> keyboard-interactive authentication). I can then open an R session.
>
> Since I am not used to working with LINUX, I have several questions:
>
> (1) Ideally I am looking for a Windows-based software that would allow me
> to work on R as I am used to with the difference that the computations are
> run remotely on the LINUX server. Does a software like this exist? Please
> note that I do not think that I can install any software on the LINUX
> server. But I can install stuff on my Windows-based PC.

I'm not even sure what this question means, sorry.

> (2) I am running an extensive simulation that takes about one week to run.
> Right now it seems that when I log out of R on LINUX and close PuTTY, the R
> session closes as well. Is there a way to let R run in the background for
> the week and just check into the progress 1-2 times a day?

Start screen on the linux system, then start R. Once the R job is
running, you can disconnect from the screen with Ctrl-A Ctrl-D and the
R job will continue in the background. Google linux screen for more
information.

> (3) Can I open several instances of R in parallel? On my PC I sometimes
> have 2-3 windows open in parallel that work on different calculations to
> save time. Not sure to which extent this is possible on LINUX.

Sure. Using screen you can have multiple sessions going.

Sarah

--
Sarah Goslee
http://www.functionaldiversity.org