[R] list server problem?

Martin Maechler maechler at lynne.stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon Apr 20 16:03:01 CEST 2015

> Dear all,
> I use Thunderbird 31.6.0 on Mac OS 10.6.8 to download my e-mails.
> Since this morning, Thunderbird downloads several times the same e-mails
> from the list, some even being from yesterday. It occurs only with
> e-mails from the R-help and not with my other professional and private
> e-mails.

> I also checked that it was not a problem with the server on which I get
> e-mails from the R-help: the problematic e-mails are erased every time
> from the server but are received several times. So I would say that the
> R-help server has sent these e-mails several times.

> I am wondering if there is currently an issue with the R-help server. Is
> someone else having the same problem?

Not having the same problem, but an explanation
from the place where the server runs:

The R mailing list server indeed has had hard times, as it seems
since early Sunday (CEST), and a complete time out for a few
hours during this morning.  The symptoms have been that some e-mails
were badly delayed.... and --- as you have experienced --- mail
server timeouts do lead to e-mail being sent more than once.
This is the consequence of a safe e-mail server behavior:  If an
e-mail "may have been lost", rather send it again.
As some say:  Better error on the safe side.

Martin Maechler
ETH Zurich