[R] How are packages installed with install_github() updated in RStudio?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 19:56:10 CEST 2015

On 18/08/2015 10:01 AM, Hadley Wickham wrote:
> RStudio just calls the same underlying R functions, so it doesn't make
> any difference that you're using RStudio.  Currently, there's no
> automatic way to update packages installed from github.

And to clarify a bit more:  this means if you install a patched version
of something from github that is newer than what is on CRAN, then call
update.packages(), you'll keep the new one as long as the version number
is higher than the one on CRAN.

On the other hand, if you run install.packages("foo"), then you'll
install the CRAN version of foo even if you already have a newer one
from github.

Duncan Murdoch