[R] Make a box-whiskers plot in R with 5 variables, color coded.

Hadley Wickham h.wickham at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 16:34:20 CET 2015

On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 9:55 AM, Martin Maechler
<maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch> wrote:

>    [............]
>
>     > You are missing the closing bracket on the boxplot()
>     > command.  Just finish with a ')'
>
> Hmm... I once learned
>
>  '()' =: parenthesis/es
>  '[]' =: bracket(s)
>  '{}' =: brace(s)
>
> Of course, I'm not a native English speaker, and my teacher(s) /
> teaching material may have been biased ... but, as all three
> symbol pairs play an important role in R, I think it would be
> really really helpful,  if we could agree on using the same
> precise English here.
>
> I'm happy to re-learn, but I'd really like to end up with three
> different simple English words, if possible.
> (Yes, I know and have seen/heard "curly braces", "round
>  parentheses", ... but I'd hope we can do without the extra adjective.)

I think this is what Americans are taught, but I can never remember
which is which. I use round brackets, square brackets, and squiggly
brackets, which are memorable, and even if you're not familiar with
the terms you can easily understand what I mean.

Hadley

--
http://had.co.nz/