[R] R vs. RStudio?
murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 11:30:55 CET 2015
On 10/01/2015 9:22 PM, Boris Steipe wrote:
> Could someone kindly enlighten me whether there are currently advantages to use R Studio vs. the normal R GUI? On the Mac I can't seem to find anything compelling, on Windows (which I don't use myself) I noticed last year that there seems to be no syntax highlighting available for the R GUI but R Studio had it.
> Surely there must be some value proposition in that project, what am I missing?
I find several advantages, and one or two disadvantages.
- The debugger is nicer. You can set breakpoints in the code editor
and it installs them in the right place.
- It has lots of support for things like Sweave, knitr, rmarkdown, etc.
- It is easy to switch between different projects.
- It looks the same on all platforms, so if you switch platforms you
still know what you're doing.
- I don't like the tiled display. I find it doesn't give me enough space.
- At least until recently, I haven't checked with the latest release,
it converts files to the native format, i.e. saving a file on Windows
gives you CR LF line endings, doing it elsewhere converts them to LF.
This is really irritating when files get changed for no good reason.
More information about the R-help