[R] R vs. RStudio?

Hadley Wickham h.wickham at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 15:51:42 CET 2015

On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 2:01 AM, peter dalgaard <pdalgd at gmail.com> wrote:

>> On 11 Jan 2015, at 11:30 , Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.duncan at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> - I don't like the tiled display.  I find it doesn't give me enough space.
>>

> This is a mixed blessing. For teaching purposes, it helps avoid shuffling windows to uncover the editor, graph window, and terminal in order to demonstrate various points.
> (One can fairly quickly get used to do that for one's own purposes, but in the classroom it becomes "noise on the line".) However, the graph tile rather too easily get into the "Figure margins too large" issue and readability of the text tiles can become a problem.

I used to really dislike the tiling, but now I'm mostly ok with it
(especially once I realised RStudio is designed to be used
fullscreen). It's certainly a huge improvement for new users, since
they never lose windows behind other windows, and the same type of
thing always appears in the same place. OTOH if the projector isn't
particularly good or the room is large, and you've cranked up the size
so everyone can read it, it can be hard to fit everything on one
screen.

Hadley

--
http://had.co.nz/