[R] R vs. RStudio?

Sigbert Klinke sigbert at wiwi.hu-berlin.de
Tue Jan 13 09:28:51 CET 2015

On 12.01.2015 09:01, peter dalgaard wrote:

>> On 11 Jan 2015, at 11:30 , Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.duncan at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> - I don't like the tiled display.  I find it doesn't give me enough space.
>>

> This is a mixed blessing. For teaching purposes, it helps avoid shuffling windows to uncover the editor, graph window, and terminal in order to demonstrate various points.
> (One can fairly quickly get used to do that for one's own purposes, but in the classroom it becomes "noise on the line".) However, the graph tile rather too easily get into the "Figure margins too large" issue and readability of the text tiles can become a problem.

For teaching purposes (Windows computers) I do not even introduce the R
GUI, I only use R Studio. I like the compact the view of the editor,
command line window, variables and graphics. Additionally it is
available for all OS's (Mac, Linux, Windows).

But a real pain in the editor is its cleverness about opening and
closing brackets, apostrophs and double apostrophs. Very often I when
run the program block/line there are too much or too few brackets,
apostrophs or double apostrophs :(

Best Sigbert