[R] How to specified contrasts in anova (lm)

Bert Gunter bgunter.4567 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 22:58:02 CEST 2015

Note that the toy example you provided is garbage. It has nothing to
do with contrasts (i.e. constraints) -- the DESIGN is singular: The
(2) - (1) difference for factor A  is exactly the same as the (3,4,5)
average - (1,2)average for B. I suspect you need to use a mixed
effects model treating batch as random, not fixed, but that is just a
guess as I do not know in detail what you have done.

So unless you have misstated or I have misunderstood, this indicates
that your statistical understanding is wanting and you should consult
a local statistical expert (of which there must be many) instead of
proceeding on your own. This is **NOT** about R and is off topic here.

Also, if you do wish to post here on R questions in future, please
follow the posting guide and post in plain text, not HTML.

Cheers,
Bert
Bert Gunter

is certainly not wisdom."