[R] Translation of R Manuals

Chel Hee Lee chl948 at mail.usask.ca
Mon Jul 6 03:50:33 CEST 2015

Dear the members in the R-help mailing list,

R version 2.1.0 and later support translations of program messages. The
continuous efforts have been made by R Translation Teams
<http://developer.r-project.org/TranslationTeams.html>.  I appreciate
the leadership shown by Prof. Duncan Murdoch in this field.  Also, I'd
like to express thanks to other R core members regarding the support of
R message translation.

 From this point, I would like to share my experience on the translation
of R manuals.  The R Documentation files are licensed under the General
Public License, version 2 or 3.  This means that the pilot project to
translate them into other languages has permission to reproduce them and
translate them.  I have worked to build a framework that allows us to
keep translation up-to-dated along with the development of R.  You can
see the prototype of this work in the section "Language Support for R -
Translation of Messages and Documentation" at
"http://homepage.usask.ca/~chl948/".

You will see "title of manual", "English text", "Template for other
languages", "Verbatim process", and "translated manual".  GNU 'gettext'
utilities are employed for this work.  The portable object template is
updated a weekly basis or whenever changes are necessary.   The work
process is identical to the process of translating R messages.

I would appreciate if you are interested in this project.  Please
contact me if you voluntarily participate in or offer your help with
this project of translating R manuals.  Comments and corrections is of
course most welcome.

Chel Hee Lee