[R] Embed fonts in an R graph

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Fri Jul 10 17:45:47 CEST 2015

On Jul 10, 2015, at 7:40 AM, Edwin Sun wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I cannot embed a common font type into an R graph. I did it successfully in
> December 2014 with the previous R version. However, with R 3.2.1 in July
> 2015, the following sample codes do not work anymore.
>
> pdf(file = "c:/testA.pdf", family = "serif")
> plot(x = 1:10, y = rnorm(10))
> dev.off()
> embedFonts(file = "c:/testA.pdf", outfile = "c:/testB.pdf")

When you look at ?embedFonts it becomes obvious that this is a process mediated by GhostScript, an external program no under the control of the R Team, but rather a system facility that you are responsible for maintaining on your unspecified (but inferable) operating system.

> As a result, both testA.pdf and testB.pdf cannot embed the fonts into the
> graph.

That sentence did not make sense to me. I would have expected 'testA.pdf" to have been altered at all.

--
David.

> Specifically, Adobe Acrobt reveals that "Times-Roman" is substituted
> by "TimesNewRomanPSMT", and "ZapfDingbats" is substituted by "AdobePiStd".
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Edwin
>
> <http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/file/n4709707/Capture.png>
>

> --