[R] multi core procesing

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 20:50:46 CEST 2015

On 15/07/2015 2:33 PM, Vyshnnavi Parthasarathy wrote:
> Hello,
> I am using a 8 core processor system. Is there a way to run different R
> scripts on different cores instead of all scripts running on the same core?
> If I open a new RStudio session for each script, can I somehow assign each
> Rstudio session to a particular core processor so as to make the process
> efficient? I have looked at the doParallel package and from my
> understanding including the package enables one script to be run using
> multiple cores but what I am looking for is being able to run different
> scripts on different cores.

This is a question about your OS, isn't it?  Does your OS allow you to
run multiple processes on different cores?  Or maybe this is a question
about RStudio.  Does it allow multiple instances to run on the same
computer, so your OS can allocate them to different cores?

If you run your scripts in R (not under RStudio) it's certainly possible
to have multiple R processes running at the same time.  Just do it.

Duncan Murdoch