[R] Displaying Compositional Data With 46 Parts

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Jul 17 16:33:43 CEST 2015

On Fri, 17 Jul 2015, John Kane wrote:

> I think this is more a technical question for the subject matter experts
> than for R-help if I am understanding the question correctly.

John,

   I agree completely. Unfortunately, there is no R SIG devoted to CoDA, nor
any other mail list or Web forum that I've been able to find. There is a
CoDA Web site but no active forum.

> That said, there seems to be an R package called compositional and a
> corresponding book http://www.springer.com/us/book/9783642368080 that may
> help. If nothing else the names of the author(s) of the package or book or
> the references may give you some leads on some decent papers.

   In addition to compositions, there's robCompositions and zCompositions.
The book was where I learned how to analyze compositional data. I've
communicated with several of the dozen-or-so statisticians focused on CoDa,
and have a couple of dozen papers, book chapters, and proceedings of the
triennial conferences on compositional data analyses. I've also written a
monograph that demonstrates how CoDA models applied to benthic
macroinvertebrate functional feeding groups can assess water quality and be
used to set standards.

Thanks,

Rich