[R] x11() hangs in 3.2.1

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Fri Jul 31 22:33:49 CEST 2015

> On Jul 31, 2015, at 2:22 PM, Steven Backus <backus at whimsy.med.utah.edu> wrote:
>
> I'm on RHEL 6.6, R version 3.2.1 Patched (2015-07-30 r68761) --
> "World-Famous Astronaut".  Issuing the x11() command hangs R and
> does not complete.  A window is partially drawn then freezes.
> Does anyone know of a solution?
>
> Thanks,
>  Steve

First, just an FYI, that this would be better posted to R-SIG-Fedora:

Can you run:

  capabilities()

in a terminal session and see what it shows for X11:

> capabilities()
       jpeg         png        tiff       tcltk         X11        aqua
       TRUE        TRUE        TRUE        TRUE        TRUE        TRUE
   http/ftp     sockets      libxml        fifo      cledit       iconv
       TRUE        TRUE        TRUE        TRUE        TRUE        TRUE
        NLS     profmem       cairo         ICU long.double     libcurl
       TRUE        TRUE        TRUE        TRUE        TRUE        TRUE

The above is on a Mac, just for clarity.

Did you install R via local compilation or via RPMS from the EPEL? I have not looked to see if RPMS are available for the patched version.

Presuming local compilation, I would check your configure and build logs for warnings/errors. It is possible that you are missing an X11 header or lib someplace.

Regards,

Marc Schwartz