[R] help for lay person assisting R user with disability

Liz Hare doggene at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 18 18:41:41 CEST 2015

Hi Courtney and John,

The RStudio environment mentioned below will not work with speech output (I tried with Window-Eyes awhile ago). Some of my clients use it but I have no experience with it. Since the student is partially sighted, they might be able to customize the environment with big fonts and contrast, I’m just not sure.

Using a screen reader like Window-Eyes, the student could use the R GUI environment, although it’s a little frustrating because it doesn’t speak a lot and you need to use the mouse keys a lot.

The other option if you have to stick with Windows  is to run R at the command prompt, which makes interaction slightly easier but you’d have to figure out how to log the output.

What is being recommended for the rest of the students in the class? Ideally, this student’s experience should be as close as possible to the others’.

Liz