[R] Is RcppOctave package available for Mac to install?

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sat Mar 14 07:13:10 CET 2015

> On Mar 13, 2015, at 11:50 PM, C W <tmrsg11 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> When I tried to install RcppOctave package I got the following.
>> install.packages("RcppOctave")
> --- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---
>
>  package ‘RcppOctave’ is available as a source package but not as a binary
>
> Warning message:
> package ‘RcppOctave’ is not available (for R version 3.1.2)

pkgmaker
bibtex
registry

> I see the RcppOctave_0.14.5.tar.gz  file on CRAN here,
> http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/RcppOctave/index.html
>
> I have not compiled any packages from source, I need to run brew doctor to
> fix problems in homebrew before compiling.

During the (unsuccessful) installation from source, I get the error (not entirely unexpected):

checking for mkoctfile... no
configure: error: mkoctfile not found, is Octave installed?

(I am not surprised because I don’t have Octave installed.)

There are further comments and instructions about installing octave. The instructions to install octave may alter the locations or symlinks for gfortran which might create problems for installing R packages from source, since the directory locations for brew installs are different than those that R expects. You might want to post the question on R-SIG-Mac.

—
David.