[R] Vincentizing Reaction Time data in R

John Kane jrkrideau at inbox.com
Fri May 22 13:17:58 CEST 2015

Hi, Gabriel,

Do I  understand the idea behind 'vincentizing' reaction times?
I don't want to work through the Ratcliff, (1979)  paper unless I must.

Let's say we have a subject , s1, with 50 rt scores.
We sort the scores from high to low (or low to high , it makes no difference) then we split the 50 scores into quantiles (let's say deciles) and calculate the mean/decile?

Repeat for each subject.  We now have the 'vincentized' means.

That's it?

Example, of what I understand for just for one subject (s1)

# install plyr package if not already installed
install.packages("plyr")
#=======================================

library(plyr)

# create some sciency looking sample data
rtmatter   <- c (seq(0.50 , 1.50, 0.01), seq(0.55, 1.55,  0.01) )
str(rtmatter)  # verify it looks sciencey

# create one subject
s1  <-  sample(rtmatter, 50, replace = TRUE)

# calculate 'vincentized' means for s1
s1  <-  sort(s1)
c1  <-  cut(s1, 10, right = TRUE)
ss1  <-  data.frame(c1,  s1)
vince1   <-   ddply(ss1, .(c1), summarize, decile.mean = mean(s1) )
vince1

John Kane
Kingston ON Canada