[R] Graphing the Area of Definite Integral

Steven Stoline sstoline at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 06:50:46 CET 2015

Dear Peter: in my previous email I forgot to reply to the list too

I used your code for more than one examples, and it works nicely. But when
I tried to use for the the function: f(x) = x^2, it looks like I am missing
something, but I could not figured it out.

This what I used:

f <- function(x) x^2

curve(f(x), from=-4, to=4, lwd=2, col="blue")
abline(h=0)
n <- 16
dx <- 8/n
right <- (1:n)*dx
left <- right - dx
mid <- right - dx/2
fm <- f(mid)
rect(left,0,right,fm, density = 20, border = "red")
points(mid, fm, col = "red", cex = 1.25, pch=19)
sum(fm*dx)

1/3 * (64+64)

with many thanks
steve