[R] Graphing the Area of Definite Integral

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Sat Nov 28 19:11:45 CET 2015

Your right <- (1:n)*dx mean that your leftmost rectangle's left edge
is at 0, but you want it to be at -4.  You should turn this into a function
so you don't have to remember how the variables in your code depend
on one another.   E.g.,

showIntegral <- function (f, xmin, xmax, n = 16)
{
    curve(f(x), from = xmin, to = xmax, lwd = 2, col = "blue")
    abline(h = 0)
    dx <- (xmax - xmin)/n
    right <- xmin + (1:n) * dx
    left <- right - dx
    mid <- right - dx/2
    fm <- f(mid)
    rect(left, 0, right, fm, density = 20, border = "red")
    points(mid, fm, col = "red", cex = 1.25, pch = 19)
    sum(fm * dx)
}
> showIntegral(f=function(x)x^2, xmin=-4, xmax=4, n=16)
[1] 42.5
> showIntegral(f=function(x)x^2, xmin=-4, xmax=4, n=256)
[1] 42.66602
> showIntegral(f=function(x)x^2, xmin=-4, xmax=4, n=1024)
[1] 42.66663

> 2*4^3/3
[1] 42.66667
> showIntegral