[R] Issues fitting Gompertz-Makeham model to mortality data

Marion Keast marionrkeast at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 11:52:45 CEST 2015

Good evening,

I have a very basic knowledge of how to use R and am struggling with my
code to fit a Gompertz-Makeham model to data. The code and error message is
as follows:

> data <- hmd.mx("AUS","mkeast93 at hotmail.com","1Mrkqazwsx", "country")
Warning message:
In hmd.mx("AUS", "mkeast93 at hotmail.com", "1Mrkqazwsx", "country") :
  NAs introduced by coercion
> summary(data)
Mortality data for country
    Series: female male total
    Years: 1921 - 2011
    Ages:  0 - 110
> m.qx <- data$rate$male[1:111,1:90]
> f.qx <-data$rate$female[1:111,1:90]
> age<-data$age[21:90]
>
> n=111
> m=90
> beta1=(1:m)*0
> beta2=(1:m)*0
> beta3=(1:m)*0
> qhat.mx=array(0,dim=c(n,m))
> qhat.fx=array(0,dim=c(n,m))
>
> #j is ages 0 - 110
> #i is years 1921 - 2011
>
> #MALES
> for (i in 1:m)
+ {
+     model1 <-fitGM(,m.qx[1:n,i])
+     m1 <- model1[1]
+     m2 <- model1[2]
+     m3 <- model1[3]
+     beta1[i]=m1
+     beta2[i]=m2
+     beta3[i]=m3
+     qhat.mx[,i]=GompertzMakeham(beta1[i],beta2[i],beta3[i],age)
+ }
Error in qhat.mx[, i] = GompertzMakeham(beta1[i], beta2[i], beta3[i],  :
  number of items to replace is not a multiple of replacement length

> MAPE.m=sum(abs(qhat.mx-m.qx)/m.qx)/(n*m)
> MaPE.m=sum((qhat.mx-m.qx)/m.qx)/(n*m)

Please advise in regards to fixing errors.
Furthermore, if I would like to fit MAPE to each individual age instead of
the population, is there a loop I can use to achieve this.

Thank you very much for your time and assistance.

Marion

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]