[R] Heteroscedasticity in a percent-cover dataset

Cade, Brian cadeb at usgs.gov
Fri Apr 15 18:36:19 CEST 2016

Quit trying to eliminate heteroscedasticity in your data - there is
information there in the pattern of changing variances.  I would suggest
instead that  you go directly after modeling the change in entire
distributional form by using quantile regression (package quantreg).  So,
for example, depending on your sample size and model complexity you might
estimate 0.05 to 0.95 quantiles by increments of 0.05 to categorize how the
distribution of percent cover changes conditional on your predictor
variables.  Heterosecdasticity will be accomodated by changing coefficients
(slopes) for some of your predictors for different values of tau denoting
the quantiles.  See Cade and Noon (2003) for a good introduction for
ecologists.  For percent or proportion data you can use a simple logit
transformation of the dependent variable (see Bottai et al. 2010) to keep
the response bounded appropriately, and incorporate predictor variables any
way you would in any other linear (or generalized linear) model.  There
even are mixed-effects versions of quantile regression now (package lqmm)
but I haven't used them enough to speak to their veracity and value.

Brian

Brian S. Cade, PhD

U. S. Geological Survey
Fort Collins Science Center